Sunday, February 19, 2012

Homemade Dog Food

I have some wonderful frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in my freezer. The problem is that they have been there too long and are beginning to show signs of freezer burn. I couldn't help but think it is a horrible waste to thrown them away. As I was bemoaning the wastefulness of it all, Louise and Joey came padding into the utility room.  Then it came to me - dog food!

I boiled the chicken breasts and set them aside to cool. I added rice to the broth and let it cook. Near the end of the good time, I added some frozen spinach that had turned itself into a nice hard ball. I kinda figured that dogs eat grass to keep themselves regular so the spinach should add a bit of roughage for them. As the rice was cooking I shredded the chicken and added it to the mixture. While I was in the fridge, I noticed the eggs were a couple of days from the expiration date so I stirred three of them into the mixture.

The result was I had a batch of  dog food using ingredients that were still good but not something I would probably eat! I let it cool before letting the dogs sample it. They loved it! I put about 4 days worth of food into a plastic container and refrigerated it. The remainder was scooped into service size containers for the freezer. I can let them thaw in the fridge before serving.

My plan is to continue serving dry food for one meal and the home cooked food for the other in a day. My dogs seems happy and I have salvaged food that was destined for the landfill!

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea. I bet your dogs are really glad you thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete