Friday, February 4, 2011

Chicken and Dumplings

Making good chicken and dumplings isn't some secret recipe that only few know!  They can actually be quite easy and quick.  I prefer the Southern style-more like a thick noodle over the fluffier, drop biscuit style.

Since I cook small, I am going to tell you how I make enough for 2 or 3 meals.  To make a larger batch, just start multiplying!  First, place a nice sized chicken breast in a pot with about a quart of water.  You can actually use whatever pieces of chicken you prefer or have on hand - I just most always have boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer.  I find no need
to thaw the chicken first.  Bring the water to a boil and simmer until the chicken is done.

Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the broth and place on a cutting board to cool a bit so that it is easier to handle.  Then add salt, pepper and sage to the broth.  Taste the broth and season until you're satisfied that it's right.

Put a heaping cup of all-purpose flour in a bowl.  Add about a teaspoon of salt and two nice pinches (maybe 1/4 teaspoon) of baking powder. Add a couple tablespoons of vegetable (or olive) oil and an egg.  Stir together.  Add enough milk or water to make a nice soft (not sticky) dough. 


Spread about a quarter cup of flour on the counter and put the ball of dough on the flour and pat out into a flat disc.  Roll with the rolling pin until it is a bit less that 1/2" thick.  I cut my dumplings with a pizza cutter. 

I like them to be a small bite size - but that is entirely up to you!  Once they are all cut, I stir them around in the remaining flour so that they are floured on all sides to keep them from sticking together while they are being cooked.




Now, cut the chicken into bite size pieces and put them back into the pot.  Bring the broth to a gentle boil and drop the dumplings in.  I scoop the rolling flour up with them as it will help the broth thicken into a light gravy.  Add the dumplings a handful at at time stirring after each addition.  Cook about 10 minutes or so until they are done.  Just test one occasionally and when you think they're done, they are.  Keep in mind that this style dumpling is the consistency of a fat noodle and will be rather heavy. 

Dish up and enjoy!  I often sprinkle a bit more pepper on top - but then I like pepper!


2 comments:

  1. I love chicken and dumplings. I like you prefer the more noodle like dumplings. I grew up in the south and they were kinda like a main food group. Course we raised chickens to. That helped. I wish I had one of those chickens like we used to raise.
    Was wondering about your broth, in the photo it looks darker than mine. Mine is more white. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love homemade chicken and dumplings. We do the lazy canned biscuit version. Yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete