Sunday, July 15, 2012

How Single People Can Use an Extra Freezer

There are people I know that wonder why I, a lady who lives alone, has an extra freezer. I cook more at home than some folks do but food doesn't come packaged for singles or if it does, it costs way more.  Recipes make more than one serving.

Yesterday, I was shopping in our local Wal-Mart store and spotted ground pork in one pound packages for a dollar. Well, its been a long time since I've seen meat that cheap! Being the bargain shopper I try to be, my mind started thinking of ways I could use ground pork. I remembered that there are recipes that call for ground pork and ground beef. Then I figured it would work well in chili and I could make pork cutlets. A recipe for homemade breakfast sausage shouldn't be hard to find. So I loaded up with 8 pounds!

A quick Google search landed this recipe for sausage on www.cooks.com.

HOMEMADE SAUSAGE WITH SAGE
Printed from COOKS.COM








Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,150187-251196,00.html
Content Copyright © 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 lbs. lean ground pork
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sage
1 cumin pepper
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 bay leaf

Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix well, shape into 12 or 15
patties. Brown for 8 minutes on each side in skillet.
May wrap patties in foil and broil over charcoal.
I quickly made this recipe and rolled it into some waxed paper and
put in in the freezer.  In a couple hours, I will unwrap it, cut it into
sausage patties and store in a freezer bag. When its time to cook
sausage, I'll just need to take out what I need and reclose the bag.
So easy!
Then I made patties with three more pounds. I put them each
into a sandwich bag, sealed them up and put the bags into a
freezer bag. Now, I can take out the number I need when I need
them. I'm thinking I can grill them in the George Foreman as a
pork steak or bread them and make a chicken fried cutlet.
Who knows, I may come up with more ideas as time passes!
With the remaining packages, I just divided them and put roughly
a half-pound of meat in a sandwich bag then into the freezer bag.
This is the meat that I will use in recipes.
That's meats for lots of meals for a mere $8!
This is a lot of reading for one entry so there will be more at
a later time.

1 comment:

  1. Having a freezer (other than the one on top of your frig) is one of the best "money saving" deals anyone can have. Buying on sale really saves money in the long run. A good organizational plan for inside the freezer is also needed to keep from forgetting what is in there. I think upright freezers are much better than chest type freezers.

    ReplyDelete