Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bird in the Snow

It snowed recently.  In a lot of the country, snow isn't that much of an event but where I live, it doesn't happen often.  I like watching birds play.  I had about half a loaf of french bread that was getting little white spots on it so I threw it out in the yard.  It wasn't long before the varied species of birds started showing up for a snack. 

I was moaning that it was impossible to photograph them because they would fly away as soon as the door opened.  I am a baby when it comes to cold so there was no way I was sitting out there waiting for the birds to come around!  Well, then I got to thinking!  This is my solution:  a tripod and remote shutter release!

I put the camera on a tripod and set it out on the porch.  I set the camera on an automatic setting and focused it on the bread laying in the yard.  I ran the cord for the remote shutter release through the door.  With this done, I positioned myself on a comfy chair inside my toasty warm house and waited.  When a pretty bird showed up, I'd just snap the photo!  Here is an example of the result:




Not exactly perfect, put there will be more time to perfect the technique!

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh...I can just picture the process. LOVE the photo!

    ReplyDelete