Monday, January 3, 2011

Cooking for One

Living alone can is a lifestyle all its own.  One of the challenges I often hear people speak about is learning how to cook for one.  Having lived alone for many years and finding eating out a hassle, I have managed to find things that work.  Maybe its time I share a few ideas.

It's the new year and as with a lot of folks, I've decided it's time to eat healthier and to possibly drop a few extra pounds.  I need to get back to the basics of preparing better meals.  Tonight I hauled out George Foreman grill and got started! I took a frozen hamburger patty out of the freezer and put it on the grill.  At the same time, I put a pan of water on the stove to start boiling.  When the hamburger started to thaw a bit, I seasoned it with a steak seasoning from a spice grinder flipping it to get the back side.  Once the water boiled, I put a nice portion of whole frozen green beans in the pan.  According to package directions, they should cook for three minutes.  Once they were done to my satisfaction, I drained off the water and added a bit of butter and sprinkled them with a bit of garlic powder.  By this time, the burger was done so I put it on the plate and put a bit of Worcestershire sauce on it. 

This all took maybe 15 minutes and I had a fairly healthy home-cooked meal!  And cleanup was a breeze as well! 

1 comment:

  1. We have been doing the hamburgers and microwave baked potatoes. We put steak sauce on the burger and jalapeno peppers with either butter or sour cream on the potatoes. We cook extra and pack for lunch the next day.

    ReplyDelete