Saturday, January 29, 2011

Small, Quick and Easy Lasagna

Lasagna can be very time consuming and recipes usually make a very large batch.  A large amount is great when you want to freeze single portions for later.  It seems every time I do this, I use every pan and bowl in the kitchen!

The other day, I thought I'd like a good lasagna dinner but didn't want the usual production, so this is what I did.  I cooked four lasagna noodles - this step could have been skipped if I'd had the kind that don't need to be cooked first.  I mixed a Italian spices, garlic and salt and pepper into a 15-ounce can of tomato sauce.  I combined a 16-ounce container of ricotta cheese and an 8-ounce bag of shredded mozzarella cheese together. Now it's time to assemble my small lasagna!

First, spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Put a thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture (you can also use a prepared spaghetti sauce) in the bottom of the pan. Place two noodles side by side on top of the sauce.  Spread about half of the cheese mixture on top of the noodles.  I topped the cheese with a can of sliced mushrooms.  Pour about half the sauce over the top and place the other two noodles side by side.  Spread the other half of the cheese mixture over the noodles and top with the remainder of the the tomato sauce.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.  Remove the foil and bake for about ten more minutes.  Allow the lasagna to rest about 15 minutes before slicing. 

This yields about three or four portions of lasagna.  Serve it up with a nice green salad or steamed vegetable and you have a great meal! 

For the meat lover, browned ground beef or turkey can be added.  Also, I have made this recipe with a layer of spinach added to the center layer.  Thinly sliced zucchini squash is another good addition.  Cottage cheese is a good substitute for the ricotta - in fact some people prefer it! 

1 comment:

  1. I love those precooked lasagna noodles they have come up with now.

    ReplyDelete